In a traditional Alternating Current (AC) system, an AC to DC conversion is necessary to use DC power. DC Lighting takes DC battery power and directs it to the standard DC or LED DC loads. The result is a more dependable, constant circuit that operates with much greater efficiency than an AC system. LED lamp fixtures are now manufactured with LED lamps, providing significantly longer life spans and making them incredibly more efficient than standard fluorescent lamps.
DC Power Solutions
The building power industry is evolving toward distributed power generation. With the advancement of renewable DC sources such as solar, wind, and battery storage, 24VDC, 48VDC & 125VDC fluorescent lighting addresses the essential link between lighting and DC power sources, providing seamless direct DC to DC connectivity of DC lighting to these sustainable DC power sources.
Risk Management and Optimizing Power Control Options
There is a growing need for emergency, back-up, remote-site, and off-grid lighting. DC LED Lighting is part of the mitigation strategy providing lighting insurance against risk of power failure and downtime.
DC Lighting is an integral part of the DC Centralized Generation power concept, whereby operators can optimize their power usage and costs by choosing to share power consumption of the lighting system (and other systems, appliances) among various available power sources, namely renewable DC sources such as solar photovoltaic (PV), wind generation, and battery storage to operate the lighting system, while providing further mitigating against the risk of potential downtime caused by AC grid failure and other power interruptions.
DC lighting grids offer the following benefits & value:
- Mitigation against risk of lighting loss from power failure and/or downtime (when connected batteries and/or other DC sources)
- Greater dependability & stability (dedicated DC circuit offers lower noise)
- DC-to-DC connect-ability (seamlessly connect to DC power sources)
- Opens the opportunity for adding DC devices (i.e. sensors & cameras)
- Greater efficiency (vs. AC to DC conversion)
- Optimize cost and power control (enables load shedding/sharing options)
- Increase energy savings & decrease energy costs
- Decrease carbon footprint